Re: [XBoard-devel] Code formatting

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Code formatting
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 21:42:55 -0700

Hi

>>> When I looked at xoption.c, it seemed like a total mess to me.
>>
>> Yeah, that is what you get when several different people with different
>> styles
>> contribute code...
>
> Actually, it's what you get when no one is there to help "enforce" a
> style that's wanted, either manually or automatically.  It also shows
> there's a lack of code review before features get merged to master.
> :)

there are the gnu coding standards which we should be using for XBoard

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/

Would be great to have these as a pre-commit hook in git, so that only
commmits are allowed that follow the standard. That way the code should
get slowly better over time ;) Unfortunately, I don't know how to set
this up. If anyone knows how to do this, I think it would be a great
idea to implement this. Would be great to have that pre-commit hook on
savannah, so that people can't push changes that don't follow the
guidelines, but also as a local pre-commit hook, so that it is easy to
already generate commits locally that would follow those standards.

Any ideas?

Arun