Re: [XForms] New pre-release xforms-1.0.94pre30

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] New pre-release xforms-1.0.94pre30
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 14:22:10 +0100

Hi Bill,

   soory for the long delay of the answer byt I got
a bit sidetracked due to another problem...

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 11:24:45AM -0800, Bill Unruh wrote:
> >During normal 'make' both libformsGL.so and libflimage.so created
> >obviously must depend on the newly created libforms.so (and not a
> >possibly already installed older version) in the users directory.
> >Otherwise it would be not possible to use them without a proper
> >install. Now, when they get installed, they must be modified to
> >use then newly installed /usr/local/lib/libforms.so. That looks
> >to me like the reason why libtools does the relinking.
>
> Can you not put a line like
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> (or the directory where the files are built rather than the . ) into the
> Makefile script  so that the
> current directory is searched first for the libraries, and the newly created
> files are found first before anything on the system? When it is installed, one
> would have /usr/local/lib in LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so the installed ones would be
> used.

As far as I can see the problem are the libraries (libformsGL.so
and libflimage.so) that themselves are depended on libforms.so.
If someone compiles XForms but does not install these libraries
and then builds a program, linked with e.g. libflimage.so, then
he probably will set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to wherever libflimage.so
is on his system, but, since he may not even know that this in
turn involves libforms.so, won't necessary also set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to also include the path to the new
libforms.so version and, if installed, the old version will be
picked up with results that are hard to predict, otherwise the
program will likely abort.

I don't even know if LD_LIBRARY_PATH influences where the dynamic
linker will look for libraries that get loaded on requests from
a library to load further libraries...

That's at least my understanding of the reason why the path to
the new libforms.so version is hardcoded into libformsGL.so and
libflimage.so and they thus need relinking during installation.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a solution for telling lib-
tool to use a different place for the relinked library (and I
also don't understand why they don't put it directly into the
destination directory instead of first writing it to A and then
copying it to B).

                         Best regards, Jens