Re: [XForms] XForms failure after upgrading to Fedora 19

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] XForms failure after upgrading to Fedora 19
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 01:02:03 +0100

Hi David,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 03:10:57PM -0800, David Scriven wrote:
> >May I ask if it would be possible to give me a temporary
> >account I can log into with ssh on a machine exhibiting
> >the problem? Since none of my attempts to reproduce it were
> >successful I have no better idea for how to proceed. Other-
> >wise any further observations about possible differences
> >between the accounts could be helpful. For example: do
> >they use a different window manager from the one you're
> >using?
>
> Brilliant! (or I was being very stupid)

Not at all (I mean you're not stupid;-) As XForms is (at
least in principle) supposed to work with each and every
window manager out there. Ok, a window manager may also be
misbehaving in some respects, but that's something that has
to be figured out. Perhaps XForms may need some tweaking to
deal with that.

> They were using the GNOME
> window manager while I was using the KDE manager. When I switched
> them to the KDE manager XFORMS behaved as it should.
>
> That, of course, does not explain why the GNOME manager exhibited
> such strange behaviour - and it may apply to an upgraded GNOME, not
> a freshly installed one - perhaps you could check?
>
> I don't think there's any need for you to give a temporary account at
> this stage unless you are unable to reproduce the problem with a
> freshly installed GNOME.

Knowing that it may be a window manager issue is a big step
forward! And yes, I'm definitely going to install Gnome and
see if I can reproduce the issue. If I can't we'll have to
compare notes on what might be different on our set-ups.

                        Best regards, Jens