Re: [XForms] Another question on fonts...

From: Marisa Giancarla
Subject: Re: [XForms] Another question on fonts...
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 22:41:24 -0700

Ive removed the gorilla support, you can pull a new version to get the change...

Marisa

----
Empire Directory: https://EmpireDirectory.net

On Oct 20, 2014, at 2:10 AM, Jens Thoms Toerring <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Marisa,

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 03:53:25PM -0700, Marisa Giancarla wrote:
Ok, working further on my app, i am having a font issue. Back on the linux
of the day the font was the right size and was using a fixed size font. Now
on Mac it is displaying the fonts too big or not fixed width so my tables
are not formatted properly. Any ideas on why this might be happening?

As I have no experience with a Mac (and also don't know which
version of XForms you're using) I can only guess. Could it be
that the core X fonts aren't installed on a Mac? Given Apples
reputation for "nice design" I would't be too astonished if
only TTF fonts are used and the old (and less nice looking)
bitmap fonts, still used by XForms (I'm working on that), are
noot available by default. Also at least one Linux distribution
seems to have started to skip installing the X core fonts...

And if the X core fonts can't be found the XForms library will
try to pick some replacement font, which might look rather ugly
and bear no resemblance to the expected font. Do all the texts
look the same? That might be a sign that a replacement font has
been used. Another thing you can do to check for this is to run
your program with the '-fldebug' option, followed by an integer
between 1 and 5. This enables additional warnings (and, for
higher numbers also lots of more of information) to be printed
out. You may find a line similar to

  try_get_font_struct(): Can't load XXXX, using subsitute

were 'XXXX' is the name of a font that couldn't be found.

I've downloaded your package from github but need some time
to check how it looks like on my (Linux) machine (and for that
I need to get 'gorilla' installed first), in order to see if
this is an error I can reproduce.

                       Best regards, Jens
--
 \   Jens Thoms Toerring  ________      address@hidden