xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Multiple log quicky (0.6 beta 3)

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Multiple log quicky (0.6 beta 3)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 20:27:41 +0100

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 23:22:20 +0100
Stephane Fillod <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Which brings up another issue: should we fire up the log editor
> > before an import, so people can decide how many fields the log
> > will have and what the fields names will be?
>
> Not sure about what's best.
>
> * open the log file, find out what fields are available
> * fire up the log editor, with field not available shaded (not selected),
>   and others selected according to preferences
> * let the operator make his/her choice
> * import the data
>
> Another possible behaviour:
>
> * always keep all the fields that were in the logfile
> * using the log editor, propose to add new fields.

Thanks for your suggestions Stephane, I will give it a thought
and decide which is the best. In fact, I don't really mind how
we solve this, as long as it is solved.

> BTW, I've attached a patch that does the following:
> * moves all the logfile handling files into a logfile/ subdir.
> * log file support is gathered into the logfile/liblogfile.a archive
> * updated some C files for new location of logfile/logfile.h
> * Included also the import/export twlog format support.
> * POWER and GMTEND added to types.h. Adapt to your need.

Thanks!
I should have read my e-mail friday-night, as I have just uploaded
beta4, which already moves the logs to a subdir. I will have a look
though, as I am sure it may contain some interesting code.
Thanks for the twlog support!

> Joop, would it be possible to keep liblogfile.a free of any gtk
> dependancy? It would make much more sense. IOW, could you move
> new_logwindow and logtype out of logfile.[ch] ?

Okay, already did that in beta4, as I saw the discrepancy.
It now is in log.c/log.h, which contains general utilities for our
logs. Maybe I should name it log-utils.c/h, I tend to change names
a lot.

> Next step is to add ADIF/etc. support to liblogfile.a. Too bad logconv is
> written in C++ and not using Lex&Yacc. liblogfile could have been shared.

Logconv (at least the linux version) is in a bad state. I have not seen
any uploads for linux in the last year, although the windows version
has been updated now and then.

It is a nice idea to have a library for different log format support.
Maybe you can distribute it seperately, once it has proven it's work
inside xlog....

> If you're QRV tomorrow, let me know what band, I have a Friday off.

Can you do CW, or some digital mode? Maybe Sunday evening?
I have taken my antenna down for 80 meters, but 40/30/20 meters
would be okay. Can't do SSB, no microphone.

> Cheers,
>  Stephane F8CFE
>

> PS:
>  wishlist: when using Hamlib, in QSO window, if mode is CW, retrieved RST
>            should read something like "5x9" and not just "5x".

Strange, works fine here, see the code in hamlib-utils.c:

if ((g_strcasecmp(state.rigmode, "CW") == 0) ||
(g_strcasecmp(state.rigmode, "RTTY") == 0))
    state.rigrst = g_strdup_printf("5%d9", smax);
else
    state.rigrst = g_strdup_printf("5%d", smax);

Cheerio,
Joop PA4TU