xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Log as diary

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Log as diary
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:28:19 +0100

Op dinsdag 04-03-2008 om 10:06 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Martin
Ewing AA6E:
> Joop,
>
> I understand the simplicity of using a fake call sign with the remarks
> field.
>
> I have a small problem (even with the current system) concerning
> remarks.  In both the on-screen and printed formats, the remarks appear
> way to the right, and are often cut off on the right edge.

One thing that is very flexible with the GTK+ interface is the
showing/hiding of widgets. I would like to propose that we hide all of
the entries in the QSO-frame (the left frame were all the entries are)
when a 'special remark' QSO is selected, except for the Date and Time.
This way we will have a rather large area available for the remarks
field and it will really stand out.

> For me, it would help if we had the ability to make a 2-line
> display/print option, where the remarks (or perhaps some other fields)
> could be displayed or printed on a second line, possibly in italics or
> some other contrasting style to make it easy to see the main QSO entry.
> (At minimum, let the lines fold over?)
>
> I note that the print-out is already "double spaced".  There is
> currently room for a remarks field on a second line.

Wow, you seem to be one of the very last hams that actually print their
logs! I admit there is little space on a portrait size sheet to print
the QSO data, but selecting landscape will solve all of your troubles.
And yes, a special remark can be printed on a line by itself in italics
for instance, printing is much more flexible than displaying a GUI.

> Thanks for your attention!

So when I program some of your and my ideas, will you be able to test
it? Can you compile xlog from source?

> 73 Martin AA6E

Thanks,
Joop PG4I