xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Xlog and Grig

From: Pierfrancesco Caci
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Xlog and Grig
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 07:50:35 +0200

    Pete> Hi Folks,
    Pete> I've just started using Grig with Xlog as my logging program, and
    Pete> noticed that when both are reading information of the rig, the
    Pete> frequency display on Grig (and the radio) temporarily shift by wide
    Pete> amounts at a regular interval, which I presume to be the polling rate
    Pete> from either Grig or Xlog. Is this common (or even the cause)? Is there
    Pete> any workaround, short of shutting off the hamlib function in Xlog?

    Pete> Thanks for any light anyone had time to shed on this...

    Pete> With best regards,

You can't have 2 programs polling the radio directly. To multiplex the
access to the radio among several hamlib-enabled software, you need to
run either rpc.rigd or rigctld (the authors of hamlib recommend rigctld
which is more maintained), which is a daemon that you launch in
background. You then configure the other program to access rigctld (or
rpc.rigd) using the "special" rigtype that this provides.
I use this setup to share radio control between fldigi, xdx, and xlog
all together.

Pf

--
Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx