ada-mode-users

Re: 3.2 Selecting projects -- So, how do I select projects?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: 3.2 Selecting projects -- So, how do I select projects?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 13:50:09 -0800

Left Right <olegsivokon@gmail.com> writes:

> It took me a while to find that Ada mode has a dedicated Info manual,

That's standard Emacs practice. It is mentioned in the package info
shown by M-x list-packages, C-s ada, <ret>.

How else should we present that information so you would have found it
quicker?

>>From my reading of both the manual linked above and the Info Ada Mode
> manual, I figured that probably putting a file "project.prj" in the
> root directory of my repository with the contents:
>
> src_dir=/home/olegs/src/try-ada/test_project
>
> should have the effect of specifying my project and its root
> directory.

You also have to tell Emacs that is the current project. Note that the
directory containing the project file is included by default, so you
don't need that src_dir entry. You also have to specify the gpr file.

You should work thru the tutorials in the info manual; they give working
examples of the various ways to use project files. The simplest way is
to use the gpr file itself as the ada-mode project file.

> Anyways. My major problem with the title section of the manual is that
> it doesn't tell how to select projects.

There is a section in ada-mode.info titled "Project Files". The first
line in that refers to the info file for wisi project files. That file
has a section titled "Project extension" (this could have a better
name). In there is a section titled "selecting projects".

--
-- Stephe