auctex-devel

Re: Feature comparison Re: distribution of AUCTeX and built-in TeX/LaTe

From: Jeremy Bryant
Subject: Re: Feature comparison Re: distribution of AUCTeX and built-in TeX/LaTeX modes
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 20:14:31 +0100

Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I guess when you only write short documents like letters, there's
>> probably no need for all those features that come with AUCTeX.  But
>> that's just a guess.  No actual user told me their reasons.
>
> This is also what I've read over the time: Some people don't like
> AUCTeX's "feature-bloat"[1].  And also the size of the manual seems to
> be daunting.  And to be honest, if one once wants to write a document
> with vanilla LaTeX, no other packages etc. involved, then the built-in
> mode might be a good/right choice.
>
> Best, Arash
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2024-05/msg01253.html

Thanks for the interesting background.
So far there appear no well known big feature gaps, but it's about
discoverability.

In principle, users can pick and choose which features to use without
being confronted with a perceived bloat (similar to Emacs and its
editing features itself).

If the manual is perceived as daunting there may be scope for improving
the documentation.  I'll take a look and suggest some patches if I can.