[Audio-video] Re: Upload video - where?

From: John Sullivan
Subject: [Audio-video] Re: Upload video - where?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 07:57:26 -0700

Ole Tange <address@hidden> writes:

>>> So it should be downloadable in VP8 from:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlXDtd_pRaY
>>
>> I think it worked, since
>> http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gnu+parallel&aq=f&webm=1
>> shows it (note the webm=1 parameter).
>
> So it would be OK to link to YouTube from a Free Software angle?

Well, one question is whether it's possible to link directly to the
VP8/HTML5 version. If not, then I think that some explanation would be
required with the link (and unfortunately for the time being, that
explanation is a bit long).

I think I neglected to mention tinyogg.com before.

>> BTW, can you share what you used to encode the video at 720p?
>
> xvidcap. I even started out with the default which saves in mpeg4.
> ffmpeg2theora to convert. I later learned that xvidcap can save
> directly in theora - that will be for next video.

Cool, do you have the ffmpeg2theora command line by chance? We were just
about to start compiling examples to show how people can post their
videos in 720p on YouTube.

Good to know about xvidcap => Theora... This whole experience would be a
fun and useful blog post on fsf.org -- to show how to make a
free-software-friendly screencast about using free software, from
recording to publishing.

--
John Sullivan
Free Software Foundation