[Audio-video] Re: Upload video - where?

From: Ole Tange
Subject: [Audio-video] Re: Upload video - where?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:43:55 +0200

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 4:57 PM, John Sullivan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ole Tange <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 4:09 PM, John Sullivan <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Ole Tange <address@hidden> writes:
>>>
> I think I neglected to mention tinyogg.com before.

http://tinyogg.com/watch/jvgml/

It plays *horribly* in Iceweasel/3.5.9, but plays fine in Chrome.

>>> BTW, can you share what you used to encode the video at 720p?
>>
>> xvidcap. I even started out with the default which saves in mpeg4.
>> ffmpeg2theora to convert. I later learned that xvidcap can save
>> directly in theora - that will be for next video.
>
> Cool, do you have the ffmpeg2theora command line by chance?

ffmpeg2theora --noaudio video.mpeg

> We were just
> about to start compiling examples to show how people can post their
> videos in 720p on YouTube.

I will be happy to be the poster child if needed :-)

> Good to know about xvidcap => Theora... This whole experience would be a
> fun and useful blog post on fsf.org -- to show how to make a
> free-software-friendly screencast about using free software, from
> recording to publishing.

Feel free to use below:

As a developer I am sad to see people use inferior software. I
continuously see people using xargs or PPSS for tasks that were better
solved with GNU Parallel. I believe the primary reason is not knowing
about GNU Parallel. So to make it easy to see the most basic use of
GNU Parallel I made a video.

The video is extremely simple: You see a terminal. Next to the
terminal that you see I have an editor with the commands to enter.  So
I basically just copy and paste the commands one at a time. The video
is uncut so everything happens in real time.

The recording was done with xvidcap http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net/
which default saves as MPEG4. Then I used ffmpeg2theora
http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/ to convert to Ogg/Theora. I discovered
too late, that xvidcap can save as Ogg/Theora directly.

In total the most time was spent on finding good examples that showed
the points and testing the examples. The recording took a few takes to
get right. But combined with upload to DailyMotion
http://openvideo.dailymotion.com/video/xdmqwz_gnu-parallel-script-processing-and_tech
and YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlXDtd_pRaY it was done in
a couple of hours. YouTube even gave the option of adding the sassy
tune. The TinyOgg version http://tinyogg.com/watch/jvgml/ was added
the next day.

/Ole