Re: [Chicken-users] macro systems and chicken (long)

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] macro systems and chicken (long)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 11:24:55 +0100

I'm currently working on a hygienic version of chicken (explicit-
renaming +
syntax-rules) which is a first requirement for a full, macro-aware
module system (which is also being implemented). This will be fully
integrated and compatible with all special features (non-contiguous
local definitions, curried and empty "define" and DSSSL lambda-lists),
provide compiled macros (with support for the runtime-macros option/
declaration)
and proper handling of syntactic environments. This will also obsolete
all external macro expanders and provide a more uniform handling of
extensions that provide syntax.

Wooohoo! Is there any overlap of work there with Alex's changes to
riaxpander - can you use that and save some effort?

The downside is that define-record and in particular define-macro
have to go.

Hmmm, I'd have thought that both could be easily implemented on top
of ER macros. define-macro just defines a macro that never renames...

Work is in progress, and there are still a lot of things to be
implemented. When this is in a
releasable state, I invite everybody to test it and think about
whether
we are willing to accept major incompatibilities with such a
change. Many
eggs will have to be adapted and some will have to be removed
entirely.

Well, sounds like an excuse of a hackathon... :-)

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym
Work: http://www.snell-systems.co.uk/