Re: [Chicken-users] [wish list] chicken-install: show available eggs, up

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [wish list] chicken-install: show available eggs, upgrade all installed eggs?
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 06:06:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hello!

> It would be good to be able to show available eggs when installing an egg,
> such
> that user can grep and find wanted eggs quickly without having to browse at
> http://wiki.call-cc.org/chicken-projects/egg- index-4.html.  Simply a text
> dump
> of that html page would help much.

That is possible, but would require a regularly updated "master" document
somewhere
on our server.

> The other feature is being able to upgrade all installed eggs after, for
> instance, upgrading chicken.  Then i don't have to reinstall each missing one
> by
> one, desperately.

That has been requested repeatedly in the past, but I'm
sceptical. Bulk updates like that make it extremely easy to break
everything, unless you have a very rigid control over the stability of
the currently available extensions.  The egg repository is actually
pretty good in that regard, but still, broken eggs and broken
dependencies slip in from time to time. We are quick to fix those, but
something like a bulk update could easily result in broken
installations.

For example, I may have several applications that use one or the other
installed egg. Those eggs may be out of date, but I'm more interested
in having my system running, so when I install new extensions,
"chicken-install" will warn me when an egg requires higher versions
and I have the choice to think twice about whether I want to do that
or not.

On the other hand, some people like to be up-to-date at every cost, so
for those a bulk update option might be desirable.

To come to the point: should be possible, but currently not of high
priority.

> P.S. The mixture of tabs and space in the source codes really cause a headache
> for the indention..

What editor are you using?