Re: [Chicken-users] IDE for Beginners

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] IDE for Beginners
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 16:24:56 +0000

Hi Nathan,

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:05:44 -0500 Nathan Thern <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 12/4/2014 1:16 PM, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
>> Despite being initially cryptic, I'd strongly recommend learning Emacs.
>> It's a valuable and flexible tool that can be useful in many situations,
>> not only for editing CHICKEN code.  If you are familiar with Lisp
>> languages (and I assume you are), Emacs can be programmed to do
>> virtually whatever you want (including making it less cryptic to your
>> taste)!
>
> Do you recommend SLIME or Geiser or some other tool/combo? Is there a
> thread or wiki page that one can use to get started?

I don't use any of them, so I can't recommend.  I use the default Scheme
mode shipped with Emacs and the following additions:

-------------------------8<-------------------------
(show-paren-mode 1)
(global-font-lock-mode 1)

(defun buffer-cleanup ()
  (interactive)
  (whitespace-cleanup)
  (untabify (point-min) (point-max)))

(put 'and-let* 'scheme-indent-function 1)
(put 'parameterize 'scheme-indent-function 1)
(put 'with-request-vars 'scheme-indent-function 2)
(put 'with-request-vars* 'scheme-indent-function 2)
(put 'with-request-variables 'scheme-indent-function 1)
(put 'with-transaction 'scheme-indent-function 1)
(put 'handle-exceptions 'scheme-indent-function 1)
(put 'when 'scheme-indent-function 1)
(put 'unless 'scheme-indent-function 1)
(put 'match 'scheme-indent-function 1)
(put 'match-let 'scheme-indent-function 1)
(eval-after-load 'scheme
  (put 'module 'scheme-indent-function
       #'(lambda () (state indent-point normal-indent) 0)))

(setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)

Nothing fancy.

The wiki has a page about editing CHICKEN code with Emacs:
http://wiki.call-cc.org/emacs

Best wishes.
Mario
--