Re: resizing the virtual MIDI keyboard

From: Bric
Subject: Re: resizing the virtual MIDI keyboard
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 12:38:59 -0500 (EST)

> On February 6, 2020 at 8:01 AM Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> On Wed, 2020-02-05 at 18:09 -0500, Bric wrote:
> > I am running denemo with a touch-screen monitor right now.
> >
> > It occurs to me that it would be totally awesome to make the virtual
> > MIDI keyboard resizeable such that the keys actually expand to
> > greater pixel dimensions, to one's liking
> >
> > With touch-screen you can actually use your fingers to tap the screen
> > and play (!). Except right now it does not re-scale (only lets me
> > resize the window horizontally, and with that it simply fills the
> > greater width of the window with *more* keys, rather than expand the
> > keys' size), and my finger tips are too big for the keys drawn on my
> > screen.  If i resized the keys by just 30%, say, it would be an
> > awesome way to input data.
>
> That sounds like a good idea. It is in fact already possible: if you
> type
> (d-VirtualKeyboard 2)
> into the CLI box of the Scheme window and hit Return you get a two-
> octave keyboard which you can then resize to fill the width of your

This works!  I invoked it with three octaves (changed the 2 to 3), and that
works fine with my 1600x900 resolution. When I resize horizontally, the width
of the keys also extends to where you can avoid fat finger touch misses)

So, nice touch-screen play/input. Might come in handy for some scoring, at some
point. (Right now, the purely typing input speed is still very competitive with
the keyboard input - given the need to change duration and a slew of other
properties)

I should also note that "Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard" (VMPK) does not respond
to touch-screen input for some weird reason - only mouse clicks.