Re: Stop making unneeded improvements

From: Lamar Owen
Subject: Re: Stop making unneeded improvements
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 14:51:30 -0500

[Accidentally sent this from the wrong account.... this is the right one....]

On 1/5/21 10:30 AM, Glen Langston wrote:
Concerning my previous email, sent in extreme frustration. I understand that we all want to make improvements and progress.
I want to take a moment and thank Glen for posting these messages. I had no idea his group was doing some of the things that they are; what a timely discovery, since I'm working on better backends for our radio telescopes as well, and what Glen has pointed to is very well written and implemented as far as I can tell.

I want to echo his frustrations; sometimes it seems things move too fast, and sometimes too slow.  I have used various versions of GNUradio over the years, and it's been one of the packages that should be the poster child for the "don't try to remember anything you learned, since it's all going to change anyway" school of development. Python 2 to Python 3 is bad enough; although I did a port to Python 3 of an antenna control shim for a program to interface a azimuth-elevation control setup to run with the right ascension-declination controls of two of our instruments; again, I understand the Python devs reasoning but man it was a pain to get all the new syntax and semantics (especially for string handling, from UTF to byte strings for the TCP/IP backend control protocol!) right and just working again; and that was just a few hundred lines of code.  And I know you, the GNUradio developers, had it even rougher with all the changes; I sympathize.

GNUradio has a large set of dependencies, for sure, and this has always been the thing that has made using it on various distributions rather difficult at times.  Having to rewrite a module because you updated the underlying operating system, and thus dependencies A, B, P, and Z all got updates that requires a GNUradio version update that requires a rewrite and maybe even a certification/calibration test of the new module.... it does get frustrating.

Updates shouldn't break things willy-nilly!  (this is also the case with another piece of software I use, PostgreSQL, where backend data formats and modules can break between major versions).  I personally would have liked GNUradio 3.8 to have carried a version of 4.0 to indicate that it is a major version upgrade; if moving from Python 2 to Python 3 wasn't enough to trigger that version bump, what is?

I'm trying to debug and patch the UHD stack for USRP1 with DBS-RX daughterboard; it just quit working, and while I've reported to the UHD list no action has been taken to fix the regression.  The DBS-RX has been calibrated by us for this application, and now I'm going to have to calibrate (or rather, have a couple of spring/summer interns enrich their learning experience by doing this calibration) another SDR; probably a modified ADALM-Pluto (GPS-locked clocking mod using a Leo Bodnar GPS-DO to drive the sample clock) or a LimeSDR; the frequency ranges I need are 1.2GHz to 1.7GHz (HI line spectroscopy with larger red and blue shifts for extragalactic source work) and 2.0GHz to 2.3GHz.  SDRPlay, AirSpy, and most of the cheap RTL-SDRs won't tune that last range; DBS-RX does and worked well for us back of now.

Yes, I know.... PROGRESS.  And progress is certainly needed; but progress can be painful.  So while I'm not complaining per se, I do want to echo the concerns that especially Glen has raised.
--

pari <https://www.pari.edu>

Lamar Owen, /Chief Technology Officer/
Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute
/A not-for-profit public organization/
Email lowen@pari.edu <mailto:lowen@pari.edu>
Telephone 828.862.5554 <tel:828.862.5554> | Fax 828.862.5877 <fax:828.862.5877>
1 Pari Drive, Rosman, NC 28772
www.pari.edu <https://www.pari.edu/>
fb <https://www.facebook.com/PARIastronomy/>ig <https://www.instagram.com/pariastronomy/>in <https://www.linkedin.com/company/pisgah-astronomical-research-institute/>tw <https://twitter.com/Astronomy_PARI>yt <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ14Fw8C8DZAnTvk8IZ7yXg>