Re: Stop making unneeded improvements

From: paul
Subject: Re: Stop making unneeded improvements
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 20:32:44 +0000

Prompted to write by Glen Langston's post, I'm an old man resurrecting an old moan, and in a minority that (I believe) is just not catered for:

* Windows user
* Non-programmer (of any great consequence)

A couple of years ago I became hooked on GRC after watching Balint Seeber's YouTube videos that convinced me this was a great non-programming solution to a long-standing problem of mine. True, after 6 months I managed to fumble my way to a flowgraph that sort-of got the job done. But there were serious limitations, such as WX widget deficiencies including only mono audio stream for some sources/sinks (just how out-of-date can you be in the 21st century?). So I tried to migrate to QT, and what happens? Every one of the replacement widgets looks and behaves differently from its predecessor and, in several cases, has significantly reduced functionality. Add in inexplicable control gaps like decade "thumb-wheels" (for tuning) or command buttons (e.g. to increment a variable by a preset amount) and it's clear that Gnu Radio Companion fails to replicate anything like a basic RADIO front panel. I won't even start moaning about changes to Python versions and libraries. What kind of a development strategy is that? It's no excuse that you rely on a team of volunteers. If you want quality you need leadership, direction and team players - every programmer following his own whim to produce "cool stuff" on his own agenda is a recipe for disaster. I've been a "volunteer" myself for 15 years, trying to put something back into the radio community I love, with never a cent in return, and don't do "cool stuff". BTW under "cool stuff", I include the disgraceful self-promotion and waste of valuable time in the YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHjITd2HR-g&ab_channel=GNURadio. The golden rules for development include doing the basics well, backwards compatibility, not breaking what already works, incremental improvement, giving priority to fixing bugs/defects, and testing, testing, testing. GRC has broken all of these big time over the years. If during my working life I had been so cavalier in my attitude, I would have lost my job many times over. I suppose the real problem (for me) is that GRC is written by DSP experts for DSP students who get by with a little help from their friends, adding a bit of Python here and C++ there. In other words, GRC is *not* the general purpose learner's tool that comes across in the Balint intro. As for the lack of support for Windows, how can you possibly ignore (more-or-less) the No. 1 operating system with its large pool of users hungry for GRC-type tools? If your fundamentalist fixation on *nix prohibits contact with the unclean, please have the honesty to label your product accordingly.

I repeat my acceptance of being in a minority, apologise too for the rant, and realise it will not make any difference. But best wishes for the future.

Paul White