Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 10:52:21 -0500

> I think you meant "lisp-data-mode".

Indeed.

> I'm not sure you are teasing me, so:

No, I'm just pointing out that even such an "obviously nothing but a new
feature" implies a change in old behavior.  The same applies to the most
obvious "bug fixes" and to basically every single commit we ever apply.
Even adding a config var to recover the old behavior is itself a change
in old behavior.

So your rule is simply inapplicable.  You seem to think it's obvious to
distinguish between a change in behavior and a bug fix or a new feature
or other categories, and while in many cases it is, there are also many
cases where it's not and *that* is the reason why we sometimes introduce
a change without a clean way to recover the old behavior: we failed to
recognize that it wasn't just a bug fix or a plain improvement.

New rules won't help.

        Stefan