Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 16:33:41 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 02:52:33 -0500
> Cc: ghe@sdf.org, acm@muc.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> But, as the y-or-n-p problem shows, there are times when people make a
> change that is obviously intended to change the UI, and isn't fixing a
> bug.

That is incorrect: the change was made to fix annoying
(a.k.a. "buggy") behavior, whereby some async message displayed while
y-or-n-p was prompting the user would completely hide the prompt, and
Emacs would be left in a state where it expects the user to type
something, but doesn't say so.

> If we adopt a rule about these situations, we will do better.

It depends on the rules.  The rules proposed until now will definitely
cause us to do worse, which is unjustified given how rare these cases
happen.