Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the emacs tarball
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 15:39:27 -0500

I don't have a strong opinion over using worktrees or submodules or
what, but I think we should first clarify whether we intend to bundle
*all* GNU ELPA packages or only some of them.

And then whether we want to keep the code (for those GNU ELPA packages
we want to bundle) exclusively in elpa.git.

I think we'll only want to bundle a few specific packages, and I think
it might be simpler to keep a copy of those specific packages in
emacs.git (in the form of branches, of course: we want to be able to
easily sync those copies with the ones in elpa.git).

One advantage is that cloning emacs.git would get us all the data we
need (no need to refer to some other Git repository).
Another is that this will only get the subset of GNU ELPA which we
intend to bundle, so its size won't grow quite like that of `elpa.git`.
Also it naturally gives us separate release branches that can evolve
at a slightly different rate than the code in elpa.git, without having
to touch elpa.git itself.

        Stefan