Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the emacs tarball
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2021 06:48:58 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>> Cc: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>,  Eli Zaretskii
>>  <eliz@gnu.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 15:39:27 -0500
>>
>> I think we'll only want to bundle a few specific packages, and I think
>> it might be simpler to keep a copy of those specific packages in
>> emacs.git
>
> Does this mean you are backing up from the consensus of using
> submodules?
>
>> (in the form of branches, of course: we want to be able to
>> easily sync those copies with the ones in elpa.git).
>
> What does it mean "to keep a copy of a package in the form of
> branches"?  Can you describe the series of Git commands needed to
> import such a copy into the Emacs Git repository, and what needs to be
> done to routinely update such a copy from ELPA?

Normally 'git push' in a checkout from a local copy of elpa.git pushes
to savannah elpa.git, but that's just the default.

'git push <remote repository>' pushes to a different remote repository,
which in this case would be savannah emacs.git.

I'll write up the details and post a new baseline. That will take a
while.

--
-- Stephe