Re: POLL: make C-x o transient

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: POLL: make C-x o transient
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 14:13:25 +0000

It is to bind C-= to the existing "repeat" command,

FWIW, I agree that `repeat` deserves a single-key bindings.
But I don't think `C-=` can be it, and I don't have a counter-offer.

1. Why is it important to save one keystroke, just to initiate repetition?

What's important is to be able to repeat using a simple, single keystroke. But to initiate repetition it's not important to use a single keystroke (IMO).

As I already said twice, it is important because otherwise you cannot change the prefix argument between two repetitions, which is a very useful (it not necessary) feature for a repeat command. Suppose you have repeat bound on C-=. Say you have ten frames, you want to switch to another one, you type C-x 5 o C-= C-= C-= C-= C-= C-=, and you realize that you pressed '=' once too much: you just have to type C-- C-=, without even releasing the control modifier, and you're in the frame you wanted.

Another reason (mentioned by Sean Whitton) is that repeating with the last key of a keystroke leads to commands being called when what you want to do is to type the character. With what you suggest, say you have two windows side-by-side, you want to shrink the current window a bit, you type C-u C-x {, and you now want to type '{': you have to remind that you need to quit the transient keymap with C-g before typing '{'.

2. That said, for _specific commands_, which are already bound to keys, I think it's very helpful for some such commands to themselves be repeatable.

That requires a lot more changes: it is necessary to adapt each individual command, including user-defined commands, to make it repeatable.