Re: POLL: make C-x o transient

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: POLL: make C-x o transient
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 14:13:19 +0000

It is to bind C-= to the existing "repeat" command, which is already in Emacs

FWIW, I agree that `repeat` deserves a single-key bindings. But I don't think `C-=` can be it, and I don't have a counter-offer.

What are the available options? If it is required to use a key binding that works both in GUI and TUI interfaces (as RMS mentioned), I fear it's an impossible problem.

Unless of course there is an agreement to remap one of the existing keys, for example C-z (also available on C-x C-z), C-o or C-t (which are perhaps less useful than a "repeat" command, and less useful than other commands (I at least never use them)). But such an agreement is highly unlikely.

Without the requirement of compatibility with TUI interfaces, the available key bindings are the non-letters C-! C-# C-$ C-% C-^ C-& C-* C-( C-) C-= C-+ C-| C-; C-: C-' C-" C-, C-< C-. and C->. Among them it seems to me that C-= is a reasonable choice.

This said, I expect that all modal layers (viper, evil, god-mode, ...) satisfy this desire. That's one of the benefits of a modal structure: it gives you more keys to bind ;-)

Indeed, but the majority of Emacs users don't want a modal structure, otherwise they would not use Emacs ;-) And a single-key "repeat" would give Emacs a minimal modal-like structure.