Re: [BUG] WORG example for ob-lilypond is no longer working as described

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] WORG example for ob-lilypond is no longer working as described (was: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 07:16:09 +0000

Jonathan Gregory <jgrg@autistici.org> writes:

> The basic-mode term is not very helpful. Perhaps
> [inline/cropped/embedded]-mode would have been more descriptive in
> terms of what it does.

Sounds reasonable. I like "inline-mode", although no strong opinion.

> ... Anyway, hard-coding paper settings would
> simplify things a bit, but I'm not sure that hard-coding the
> version is a good idea and may produce errors with older
> installations.

Do people have reasons to use older versions even when they could use
the newest?

For example, python2/3 or MathJax4,4- were breaking and some people were
relying on legacy code. So, we had to provide some extra versions checks
and toggles on Org side as well.

>> #+name: test
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>> (message "This is test")
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :prologue (org-sbe test)
>> (+ 1 2)
>> #+end_src

Correction: `org-sbe' will execute src block. So, my example is not
completely accurate. Getting src block body is still doable, but a tiny
bit more tricky:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :prologue (org-babel-ref-resolve "test[]")
(+ 1 2)
#+end_src

It think that it will be logical to add reference resolution to
:prologue/:epilogue. I will see what I can do.
(I may need to look through which header args are resolved and which are
not - there seems to be no consistency)

> Interesting. I didn't know about org-sbe. Looks useful. I'll look
> into it when I find time. In the meantime, we can use:
>
> #+PROPERTY: header-args:lilypond :noweb yes :exports results
>  :prologue (org-sbe version-and-paper)

(This will work because ob-org, by accident, produces body as result of
evaluation, with default header args)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,