Re: [POLL] Should we accept breaking changes to get rid of Org libraries

From: Tom Gillespie
Subject: Re: [POLL] Should we accept breaking changes to get rid of Org libraries that perform side effects when loading?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 00:48:31 -0700

> Same here, I'd be tempted to deny Org citizenship to inline tasks: it
> always felt like a nice hack for a niche use-case, but a hack anyway.
>
> If it modifies Org syntax in surprising ways, this is another argument
> for removing org-inlinetask.el from Org's core.  Remember: this is not
> to say that inline tasks are forbidden, it's just a message for users
> that inline tasks are something not maintained by Org's core team.
>
> > And it is not clear how to fix this. We did not make inlinetasks into
> > standard Org syntax in the past and now it is in the weird state when we
> > have (featurep 'org-inlinetask) sprinkled across the code just to
> > accommodate for this conditional syntax.
>
> Yes, this is ugly.
>
> > Inlinetasks are too similar in syntax with headlines, so it is
> > impossible to make the change backwards-compatible.

Chiming in here to say that inline tasks make it exceptionally annoying
to specify a sane grammar for org because they require putting a special
case in the headline tokenizer, and/or making it possible to toggle the
behavior of the tokenizer.

As such I strongly support removing them from any official status in
the name of simplifying the syntax (among other things).