Re: [DISCUSSION] May we recognize everything like [[protocol:uri]] as a

From: Jens Lechtenboerger
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] May we recognize everything like [[protocol:uri]] as a non-fuzzy link?
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 14:15:05 +0200

On 2023-09-01, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> In theory, we might change the parser to treat anything like foo:bar or
> <foo:bar> or [[foo:bar]] as a link with "foo" protocol and "bar" URI.
> And introduce [[::fig:something]] to allow explicit internal links.
> But, despite simplifying the parser, it will certainly be a breaking
> change.

What would the implications be?  FAQ 18.25 [1] contains a recipe to
use colors on text like this: [[color:red][red]]

Would that be a problem?

Also, I use custom link types for additional markup like this:

[[basic:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_(computing)][Caching]]

In both cases, the part before the first colon is certainly no
protocol.

Besides, concerning wording in this discussion: A URIs may or may
not embed a protocol.  It contains a scheme, then a colon, then a
scheme-specific part, see [2].

Best wishes
Jens

[1] https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html