Re: [DISCUSSION] May we recognize everything like [[protocol:uri]] as a

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] May we recognize everything like [[protocol:uri]] as a non-fuzzy link? (was: [BUG] URI handling is overly complicated and nonstandard [9.6.7 (N/A @ /gnu/store/mg7223g8mw90lccp6mm5g6f3mpjk70si-emacs-org-9.6.7/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-9.6.7/)])
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 21:58:32 +0700

On 02/09/2023 14:26, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
With my proposal, it would become

(link :type "sec" :path "spielbeispiel" ...)

However, "sec" link type will still not be listed in the output
`org-link-types' (not registered).

Then, ox.el and other link processing code, when encountering a link
type that is not registered, will fall back to searching "fuzzy" link.

So, export, and following the link should not be affected.

I do not see which way it may help in the reported case of complications with URI schemes not enabled by default. What is the purpose of parser changes if links can not be exported or opened?

I am unsure if any "PREFIX:" should be recognized as a link type, but there is another possibility on this way: allow users to mark some prefixes as search links, not link types.

Taking into account requests to enable more URI schemes by default, requiring to explicitly disable some prefixes may be acceptable compromise. It may be necessary even if fixed set of link types is allowed by default instead of arbitrary prefix.

Changes of behavior disturbs a part of users, but strictly adhering backward compatibility means inconvenience for others.