Case insensitivity of simple [[links]]

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Case insensitivity of simple [[links]]
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 02:45:21 +0200

Howdy!

A while ago, I asked about case insensitivity of the syntactically
simplest "[[links]]" in Org.  I am interested in using these links
because they are the most practical with the "literal" view.

In 'emacs -Q' Org 9.6.9, "[[links]]" are case _sensitive_ when looking
for headings.  This was originally not the case, and case _insensitive_
linking was broken in Org 7 and then fixed in Org 8, as per [1] and [2].
Is it broken again?  I ask because 'org-link-search' documentation says
that search is "case-insensitive and ignores white spaces".

On top of the above, yesterday I noticed that

  (setq org-link-search-must-match-exact-headline nil)

makes "[[link]]" find "* Link" when clicked.  My joy was short-lived,
however, as I soon found that I cannot export anything due to

  org-export-data: Unable to resolve link: "link".

As a user, I am a bit lost here.  I cannot figure out what is a bug and
what is a feature in all of the above.  In a nutshell, all I want is to
make "[[link]]" find "* Link" while editing, after exporting, and on any
Emacs, that is 'emacs -Q'.  I have been struggling with this problem for
a while now, down-casing my headings as a workaround.  Any ideas?

Thank you!

Rudy

[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35542208/how-to-make-internal-link-in-org-mode-case-insensitive

[2]
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/20441/how-to-make-internal-links-in-org-mode-case-insensitive

--
"All you have to do is write one true sentence.  Write the truest sentence that
you know."

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava