Re: Case insensitivity of simple [[links]]

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Case insensitivity of simple [[links]]
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 10:10:11 +0000

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

> A while ago, I asked about case insensitivity of the syntactically
> simplest "[[links]]" in Org.  I am interested in using these links
> because they are the most practical with the "literal" view.
>
> In 'emacs -Q' Org 9.6.9, "[[links]]" are case _sensitive_ when looking
> for headings.  This was originally not the case, and case _insensitive_
> linking was broken in Org 7 and then fixed in Org 8, as per [1] and [2].
> Is it broken again?  I ask because 'org-link-search' documentation says
> that search is "case-insensitive and ignores white spaces".

Currently, headline matching in `org-link-search' and
`org-export-resolve-fuzzy-link' is case-sensitive.

> On top of the above, yesterday I noticed that
>
>   (setq org-link-search-must-match-exact-headline nil)
>
> makes "[[link]]" find "* Link" when clicked.  My joy was short-lived,
> however, as I soon found that I cannot export anything due to
>
>   org-export-data: Unable to resolve link: "link".

This is because of different reason - Org export is not able to export
fuzzy links that do not point to a named target:

    (defun org-export-resolve-fuzzy-link (link info &rest pseudo-types)
      "Return LINK destination.

    INFO is a plist holding contextual information.

    Return value can be an object or an element:

    - If LINK path matches a target object (i.e. <<path>>) return it.

    - If LINK path exactly matches the name or results affiliated keyword
      (i.e. #+NAME: path or #+RESULTS: name) of an element, return that
      element.

    - If LINK path exactly matches any headline name, return that
      element.

    - Otherwise, throw an error.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,