Re: Consider removing newlines from org-insert-link help message

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Consider removing newlines from org-insert-link help message
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 10:43:00 +0000

Salih Muhammed <lr0@gmx.com> writes:

>> I am not sure. Your variant will be worse  on smaller screens
>> or terminals, when the line wrap may look more ugly for longer line.
>
> What about replacing it with shorter description?

 (Insert a link. Use TAB to complete link prefixes, then RET for type-specific
completion support)

> "Insert a link. Use TAB for prefixes completion, RET for type-specific
> completion"
>
> This is only 80 characters, should be suitable for small terminals.

"then" was important in the original formulation.

I personally do not mind having a shorter variant, but we should not
make it obfuscated just for the sake of being short.

Also, if you really want to save screen space, you may consider hiding
the whole *Org Links* window by customizing `display-buffer-alist'.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,