Re: Consider removing newlines from org-insert-link help message

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: Consider removing newlines from org-insert-link help message
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 13:01:51 +0200

Salih Muhammed <lr0@gmx.com> writes:

> What about replacing it with shorter description?

+1 for making the message shorter,

... and while on it, perhaps also a bit clearer.

Also,

- the key bindings are not propertized, and
- the entire buffer is writable.

> Insert a link.

How about we say "Insert link:" in the minibuffer and drop this sentence
altogether?  Grammatically, the minibuffer prompt would be similar to
'C-x b', which says "Switch to buffer".

> Use TAB to complete link prefixes, then RET for type-specific
> completion support.

How about:

  Type TAB to complete link types, then RET to complete destinations.

> Stored links are available with <up>/<down> or M-p/n (most recent with
> RET):

Could we show the default value in the minibuffer, as

  Insert link (default [...]):

and then drop the "(most recent with RET)" comment?

As for the rest of the message, ... actually let me stop here and zoom
out a bit.  The optimal solution here would be to remove this entire UI
and leverage standard Emacs completions.  Org could simply ask

  Insert link (default [...]):

in the minibuffer and then provide intelligent completions based on the
current input.  If that can be done, then Emacs can handle the rest.  It
can show completion candidates, handle past/future history, and more.

Rudy
--
"We shall not cease from exploration
 And the end of all our exploring