Re: Consider removing newlines from org-insert-link help message

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Consider removing newlines from org-insert-link help message
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:30:48 +0000

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

>> What about replacing it with shorter description?
>
> +1 for making the message shorter,
>
> ... and while on it, perhaps also a bit clearer.

Patches welcome.

> - the key bindings are not propertized, and
> - the entire buffer is writable.

I see no obvious downsides. May as well.

>> Insert a link.
>
> How about we say "Insert link:" in the minibuffer and drop this sentence
> altogether?  Grammatically, the minibuffer prompt would be similar to
> 'C-x b', which says "Switch to buffer".

Currently, the minibuffer message is simply "Link: ". "Insert link:" is
also ok.

>> Use TAB to complete link prefixes, then RET for type-specific
>> completion support.
>
> How about:
>
>   Type TAB to complete link types, then RET to complete destinations.

Maybe "Press" rather than "Type".

>> Stored links are available with <up>/<down> or M-p/n (most recent with
>> RET):
>
> Could we show the default value in the minibuffer, as
>
>   Insert link (default [...]):
>
> and then drop the "(most recent with RET)" comment?

We may, but the default link might sometimes be long. Not sure how it
will look like.

> As for the rest of the message, ... actually let me stop here and zoom
> out a bit.  The optimal solution here would be to remove this entire UI
> and leverage standard Emacs completions.  Org could simply ask
>
>   Insert link (default [...]):
>
> in the minibuffer and then provide intelligent completions based on the
> current input.  If that can be done, then Emacs can handle the rest.  It
> can show completion candidates, handle past/future history, and more.

AFAIK, this is already done. We already use `completing-read'. The UI is
there historically and in addition to the normal Emacs completion.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,