Re: org-ditaa woes

From: Florin Boariu
Subject: Re: org-ditaa woes
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 23:39:50 +0200

Can you give us the command-line you would like to use?
That would help to fix the problem you are confronting.

A "regular" one would be just simply "/usr/bin/ditaa":

---
  $ ditaa --help
usage: java -jar ditaa.jar <INPFILE> [OUTFILE] [-A] [-b <BACKGROUND>] [-d] [-E] [-e <ENCODING>] [-h] [--help] [-o] [-r] [-S] [-s <SCALE>] [-T]
         [-t <TABS>] [-v] [-W]
   -A,--no-antialias              Turns anti-aliasing off.
---

For instance "ditaa diagram.txt -o diagam.png" would do exactly what
one would expect: translate diagram.txt into the coresponding image.

A more fancy one when using Flatpaks and container toolboxes are
involved would be "flatpak-spawn". E.g. this is what it takes from
within the org.gnu.emacs Flatpak sandbox to run "ditaa" in a Toolbox
container (different sandbox):

---
  $ flatpak-spawn --host toolbox run /usr/bin/ditaa --help
  usage: java -jar ditaa.jar <INPFILE> [OUTFILE] [-A] [-b <BACKGROUND>] [-d]
         [-E] [-e <ENCODING>] [-h] [--help] [-o] [-r] [-S] [-s <SCALE>] [-T]
         [-t <TABS>] [-v] [-W]
   -A,--no-antialias              Turns anti-aliasing off.
---

(Note that the self-reported message says "usage: java -jar
ditaa.jar...", but this really just behaves like a regular command
line application.)

Replying to Arne's comment:

In my current source I see [...]

(use C-h v org-babel-ditaa-java-cmd to see the value of the java
executable — you can then customize this to use a different command)

As far as I understand that part of code it still kind-of assumes that
I'm using a command line of type "java -jar ditaa.jar ...", just with
more flexibility in choosing which "java" command I'm using, right?

I've just tried setting org-babel-ditaa-java-cmd to "/usr/bin/ditaa",
and org-ditaa-jar-option to "", but now the error is something like:

/usr/bin/ditaa   /orgfile/base/folder  \
     /tmp/babel-0YxwcE/ditaa-NyIQwH \
     /orgfile/base/folder/network.png

where "/orgfile/base/folder" is the dirname of the full path of my
.org file (e.g. something like /orgfile/base/folder/file.org).

So org-ditaa apparently somewhere still tries to set a work directory
(or so?) after the org-ditaa-jar-option part. I'm not exactly sure
which code version the current Emacs Flatpak has, and I don't know how
to look (I'm not *that* much of a Flatpak nerd :-p ) But if I had to
bet, I'd assume it's a fairly recent one.

Cheers,
Florin.

PS: I'm not sure how to read this in gmane. I went to gmane.io, but
all I see is a green text and two links -- a kind-of blog entry with
gmane's history, and an admin interface. None of those looks like I'd
be able to browse the mailing list. Apparently I need to do it via
NNTP?...

--
   "Socks come in pairs. If you put a sock on your left foot, the other
    sock of the pair instantly becomes the “right sock,” no matter where