Re: Issue with org-persist and Tramp

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Issue with org-persist and Tramp
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 09:25:02 +0000

Fabio Natali <me@fabionatali.com> writes:

> I seem to be having an issue with org-persist and Tramp which is close
> to what discussed in this thread:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html//emacs-orgmode/2022-05/msg00720.html

After that thread, Org should not (by default) examine remote files.

> - I open a Org file on a remote machine, via Tramp.
> - The SSH connection dies.
> - I try to kill the stale buffer with kill-buffer and from IBuffer.
> - The buffer is not killed, instead Emacs hangs for a while while still
>   trying to connect to the old SSH connection.
> - The buffer becomes sentient and gains immortality... either that or I
>   restart Emacs, which is clearly a big no-no. :D
>
> Looking at the backtrace, it looks like the kill operation insists on
> calling org-persist-write-all-buffer, which in turn seems to be calling
> Tramp and therefore SSH to the now unreachable machine.

May you please share the backtrace?
In particular, may you (1) M-x toggle-debug-on-quit (2) try to close the
problematic file; observe Emacs "freeze" (3) C-g and post the obtained
backtrace.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,