Re: Consider removing newlines from org-insert-link help message

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: Consider removing newlines from org-insert-link help message
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 01:22:27 +0100

> Patches welcome.

Please, see the attached patch.

> I see no obvious downsides. May as well.

Done.

> Currently, the minibuffer message is simply "Link: ". "Insert link:"
> is also ok.

Done.

> Maybe "Press" rather than "Type".

I went with "Type" to match other Emacs commands.

> We may, but the default link might sometimes be long. Not sure how it
> will look like.

All right, you be the judge.

Personally, I find this UI less disorienting, as opposed to the unclear
comment about RET in the *Org Links* buffer.  And it makes sense, given
I see the "VERB NOUN [default CANDIDATE]: " constantly, all throughout
in Emacs.

> AFAIK, this is already done. We already use `completing-read'. The UI
> is there historically and in addition to the normal Emacs completion.

Gotcha!

(It is quite confusing when using e.g. Vertico, but if we are optimizing
for the default Emacs completion system, then it makes sense.)

Rudy

"Music is the mathematics of the sense, mathematics is the music of the
reason."  -- James Joseph Sylvester, 1814-1897

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia