Re: Citations: strip braces {} in titles in bibliographies in basic styl

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Citations: strip braces {} in titles in bibliographies in basic style?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 10:49:09 +0000

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

> Let's say we have a file Basic.bib, like so, with one or two pairs of braces
> around words that need special case preservation:
>
> @book{friends,
>    title = {{LaTeX} and Friends},
> Either one or two braces works and could well be used.  The Zotero extension
> Better Bibtex has a FAQ explaining why it uses two by default: "because the
> Bib(La)TeX case protection rules are incredibly convoluted."ยน
> van Dongen, M.R.C. (2012). /{{LaTeX}} and Friends/, Springer.
>
> The braces are there.  The're also visible in the HTML and ODT exports.  In
> LaTeX, in this example, they're exported but ultimately invisible because of
> how
> LaTeX handles "\textit{Lisp and {C}}".
>
> Should they be stripped?  I suggest they should.

This is a more difficult problem actually, because Bibtex allows more
than just curly braces - see https://www.bibtex.org/SpecialSymbols/ and
https://www.bibtex.org/Format/.

I tried to ask for bibtex.el to handle the accurate parsing in
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57712, but it looks like
it is not of interest upstream. So, we may have to implement a Bibtex
entry parser according to the spec.

Patches welcome!

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,