help with gnus-icalendar.el and orgmode agenda

From: Stephen J. Eglen
Subject: help with gnus-icalendar.el and orgmode agenda
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 20:41:04 +0000

hi,

I have the following snippet set up so that mu4e will parse icalendar
attachments and add them to an org file ... this seems to be the
standard prescription:

(when (fboundp 'gnus-icalendar-org-setup)
  (setq gnus-icalendar-org-capture-file "~/todo.org")
  (setq gnus-icalendar-org-capture-headline '("Calendar"))
  (gnus-icalendar-org-setup))

gnus-icalendar.el is part of Emacs, authored by Jan Tatarik (cc'ed).

When I use this package on icalendar attachments, it creates entries
that look like this:

** [#B] subject of email
:PROPERTIES:
:ICAL_EVENT: t
:END:

   <2024-02-22 18:30-20:00>

Note that the timestamp DOES NOT include a day of the week.  With the
default settings of org-time-stamp-formats, i.e.

("%Y-%m-%d %a" . "%Y-%m-%d %a %H:%M")

this means that the agenda does not show this entry -- which defeats the
purpose of me saving the icalendar entry!  If I manually add the dayname
then the agenda item appears.

Looking inside gnus-icalendar.el, the relevant defun seems to be
gnus-icalendar-event--org-timestamp that creates the timestamp.
e.g. it includes this text to generate the timestamp:

   (format "<%s %s-%s%s>" start-date start-time end-time repeat)

which does not include the dayname.

What is the best way to improve this code?

Best wishes,

Stephen