Question regarding org-capture-bookmark and org-bookmark-names-plist

From: Tim Wichmann
Subject: Question regarding org-capture-bookmark and org-bookmark-names-plist
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 21:07:44 +0100

Hi all,

during last OrgMeetup, I proposed a new user option
`org-refile-bookmark', similar to the already existing option
`org-capture-bookmark'.  Setting this new option to nil, `org-refile’
would not create a bookmark when refiling.  (Use case: I am using
alphapapa's org-bookmark-heading package and want to prevent that each
captured/refiled entry gets an id.)

I was just about to send the corresponding feature request when I
stumbled across the documentation of `org-bookmark-names-plist'.  It
states: „When a key does not show up in the property list, the
corresponding bookmark is not set.“

So, there is no need for a new user option: I simply have to remove the
:last-refile key from the plist, and no bookmark will be created on
refiling.

My question: Is this the intended way to suppress bookmark creation?  If
so: Why is there the extra user option `org-capture-bookmark'?  Isn't it
superfluous, as the same behavior can be achieved by removing the
:last-capture keyword from the plist?  (Note, moreover, that currently
the :last-capture-marker bookmark is created even in case
`org-capture-bookmark' is set to nil, see `org-refile'.)

Best regards,
  Tim.