Re: Question regarding org-capture-bookmark and org-bookmark-names-plist

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Question regarding org-capture-bookmark and org-bookmark-names-plist
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 13:29:02 +0000

Tim Wichmann <schwurg@arcor.de> writes:

> during last OrgMeetup, I proposed a new user option
> `org-refile-bookmark', similar to the already existing option
> `org-capture-bookmark'.  Setting this new option to nil, `org-refile’
> would not create a bookmark when refiling.  (Use case: I am using
> alphapapa's org-bookmark-heading package and want to prevent that each
> captured/refiled entry gets an id.)
>
> I was just about to send the corresponding feature request when I
> stumbled across the documentation of `org-bookmark-names-plist'.  It
> states: „When a key does not show up in the property list, the
> corresponding bookmark is not set.“
>
> So, there is no need for a new user option: I simply have to remove the
> :last-refile key from the plist, and no bookmark will be created on
> refiling.

You are right.

> My question: Is this the intended way to suppress bookmark creation?

I think so.

> ... If so: Why is there the extra user option `org-capture-bookmark'?
> Isn't it superfluous, as the same behavior can be achieved by removing
> the :last-capture keyword from the plist?

We first introduced `org-capture-bookmark' and only then added
`org-bookmark-names-plist'. Maybe we should obsolete
`org-capture-bookmark' to avoid confusion.

> ...(Note, moreover, that currently
> the :last-capture-marker bookmark is created even in case
> `org-capture-bookmark' is set to nil, see `org-refile'.)

May you elaborate? Are you sure that it is still the case on the latest main?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,