Re: Asynchronous blocks for everything (was Re: [BUG] Unexpected result

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Asynchronous blocks for everything (was Re: [BUG] Unexpected result when evaluating python src block asynchronously [9.7-pre (release_9.6.17-1131-gc9ed03.dirty @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)])
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:28:06 +0000

Matt <matt@excalamus.com> writes:

> The blub implementation has the same shortcomings, at least for shells, as
> the current shell implementation.  It has a few ideas, such as everything
> being asynchronous and completely removing the prompt, that may prove useful
> for improving Babel generally.  The blub implementation is also simpler than
> related parts of Babel and may be useful for figuring out ways to solve the
> currently known shortcomings.  If you run into an error during execution, you
> will need to call (setq my-org-babel-comint--async-uuid nil).

Doing everything asynchronously is not always desired.
Consider, for example,

#+begin_src bash
echo "Contents" > /tmp/tmpfile
#+end_src bash

#+begin_src bash
cat /tmp/tmpfile # I must run after /tmp/tmpfile is created!
#+end_src

Also, using "print" statements to create output delimiters might
sometimes be tricky.
If I remember correctly Ruby repl is asynchronous and sometimes produces
unexpected artefacts when you send multiple commands in quick
succession. The commands may be executed in different order than you may expect.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,