Re: org-mode: example blocks are no longer syntax highlighted in emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-mode: example blocks are no longer syntax highlighted in emacs
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 12:13:21 +0000

>>> After upgrading to emacs 29.2 and org 9.7, my example blocks are no longer
>>> syntax highlighted in emacs.
>>
>> Yet, there is no reason to remote it.
>> I recovered example block fontification on main.
>
> At least some people are against the feature:
>
> https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/CA+G3_PPYmiiwHYKkgiJDZQ=o7DvaG=0G3aQnPHSBKEMZsOyG-g@mail.gmail.com/T/#u
> Tom Gillespie. Re: [DISCUSSION] Refactoring fontification system. Tue, 7
> Jun 2022 21:23:21 -0700.

Tom is against babel support for example blocks. However, indicating
language and fontification have nothing to do with babel.

> I do not mind to have syntax highlighting support for #+begin_example
> blocks, but it should be coherent with ox exporters. My idea to unify
> #+begin_src and #+begin_example exporters was not meet warmly.

It just got no responses, right? I personally did not reply because it
was out of scope of that thread.

> To notify users that fontification will be lost during export, the
> feature may be turned into an opt-in one by adding a defcustom user
> option disabled by default and having docstring clearly describing that
> language will be ignored during export and users need to suppress
> `org-lint' warnings.

Colored export might be reasonable to add for example blocks,
but we should discuss that separately. Not in this thread.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,