Re: noweb-start and noweb-end header args

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: noweb-start and noweb-end header args
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 13:50:56 +0000

Amy Grinn <grinn.amy@gmail.com> writes:

>> Org mode does not _currently_ modify the code. But that's actually wrong
>> - things like escaped ,* or indentation sometimes also stay on the way
>> and produce incorrect fontification. So, rewriting the fontification of
>> src blocks to cleanup the code before fontification is long due.
>> noweb references is just another manifestation of this problem.
>
> I think we're talking past each other a little.  I'm not talking about
> changing the text content of a src block, I'm talking about modifying
> the syntax table of a major mode such as sh-mode to ignore or handle
> <<noweb>> syntax in an "edit-special" buffer.  That was my
> interpretation of your suggestion of using fontification to solve this
> issue.  And if that's the case, I foresee a lot of edge cases for
> modifying the display of major modes.

That's not what I had in mind. I thought of resolving/replacing noweb
references before fontifying the code. That way, the major mode for src
block will simply not see <<noweb>> text and will not be confused.

>> I am not in favor of adding features that aim to serve as workarounds to
>> Org mode.
>
> This discussion is not about whether to allow users to modify noweb
> syntax.  That feature is already a part of Org, well documented, and
> utilized.  The feature request I'm making is to allow that modification
> to be done on a per-block level.

Sure, but I wanted to hear why such feature is useful in practice. Your
example with fontification is not something I consider as a good
justification for adding a new feature. You another email provides a
better justification though.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,