Re: noweb-start and noweb-end header args

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: noweb-start and noweb-end header args
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 13:58:41 +0000

Amy Grinn <grinn.amy@gmail.com> writes:

> To expand on this, some major modes can fundamentally conflict with the
> default noweb syntax.  Here is a valid shell script *and* a valid noweb
> reference to a block named EOF:
>
> cat <<EOF>> file.txt
> Hello
> EOF
>
> I hope this helps explain why the wrap-start and wrap-end options were
> necessary to include more than a decade ago.  In terms of actually using
> them, it's a bit cumbersome, especially in Org mode buffers that use
> multiple languages.

This makes sense.
I agree that setting noweb reference syntax per-language is useful in
some cases.

> The second diff I sent (under the termux handle, accidentally) is my
> preferred solution (:noweb yes <<< >>>).  This would avoid the need for
> new header arguments to be introduced while maintaining backwards
> compatibility.  It also feels natural to specify the two options
> together: I can't think of a good reason to only need to specify the
> wrap-end option.

:noweb yes <<< >>> is actually backwards-incompatible. Consider
third-party code that makes assumptions about possible values of :noweb
header argument. If third-party code does a check like
(equal noweb-value "yes"), the new syntax can break such code.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,