Re: Table column formula with remote reference

From: Wu Ming
Subject: Re: Table column formula with remote reference
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 10:29:37 +0800

> On 14 Mar 2024, at 9:40 PM, Fraga, Eric <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> On Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 09:16, Wu Ming wrote:
>> Unrelated, but appeared on the same trial, noticed a cell was
>> mis-calculated. [...] This made me worry about reliability of simple
>> biz calculations I am trying on Org spreadsheet for the first
>> time. Please advise.
>
> I've not seen any problems with spreadsheet/table calculations in org and use
> it extensively.  I don't use remote access generally however.
>
> In any case, one very nice feature of org tables is you can see exactly how
> and what it calculates when you ask it to.  Turn on debugging by "C-c {"
> (org-table-toggle-formula-debugger) and you can see all the information you
> should need to identify what, if anything, is going wrong.
>
> Turn off debugging with the same key sequence.

Thanks for the reference to formula debugger. In the heat of debugging an error
as obvious, and worrying, as the one I saw forgot about it. Though I am still
new to Emacs and Org so that’s not so surprising.

I have one table retrieving data from two more. 18 columns x 7 rows total. I
could have everything into one larger table but splitting makes them more
readable I think. And possibly simplifies sharing end results. Haven’t tried
Org export options yet. What is your organization system with tables?