Re: Table column formula with remote reference

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Table column formula with remote reference
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 14:03:52 +0000

Wu Ming <wu.ming2@icloud.com> writes:

> Very clear now. Thank you. But I was mostly confounded by references
> $0 and #0 versus the @@# (and $$#) you just described the processing
> of. Don’t want to abuse your time. I can figure it out when needed.
> But if you feel inclined to unravel this little detail of the manual
> as well I would clearly appreciate the effort.

The main difference is that @# always refer to the original table, while
$0 may refer to other tables as well.

(Generally, reference expansion process is not well documented,
unfortunately; it would be nice if somebody wrote a documentation
explaining the process - things can get tricky in some edge cases)

>> Normally, if you use org-table-* commands, the formulas get updated when
>> you move the columns.
>
> One side effect of using remote formulas is re-organizing columns doesn’t
> update them automatically. I should find the balance of readability and
> formulas maintenance cost. But you may have suggested the solution below
> already with named columns.

In theory, we might try to update such remote references at least in
current buffer. Contributions welcome.

>> To make things more readable, you can also assign names to columns:
>>
>>     | ! |         |     P1 |     P2 |     P3 |   Tot |      |
>>     |   | Maximum |     10 |     15 |     25 |    50 | 10.0 |
>>
>> Then, you can write $P1 = ... instead of $3 = ...
>> See "3.5.10 Advanced features" section of the manual.
>
> Clever. And we are at the “Advanced“ features already. Are advanced-advanced
> in the realm of Calc?

> Asking because was also wondering how to optimize parameters (“solver”) and
> deal with locales (“,” vs “.” separators). For the latter I could possibly
> ‘tr’ them before sharing the output. But will possibly mess the alignment.
> Happened while trialling groff’s tbl.

AFAIK, GNU calc does not support comma as decimal point as _input_. For
output, I am not sure.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,