[freesci-develop] darcs2 conversion

From: Matt
Subject: [freesci-develop] darcs2 conversion
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 11:00:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi gang,

One of the GSoC (Google Summer of Code) projects related to FreeSCI was accepted, and a branching capability would be preferred for integrating that work. The current version of darcs we have deployed for source control has some limitations in this area, and we would like to upgrade to darcs2. We would like to do so before next week, since that is when some of the GSoC students are starting their projects.

Jordi has also suggested not updating the ChangeLog file, which gives darcs some performance issues. Instead, we would generate the ChangeLog from the darcs repository during 'make dist' for releases.

Pros:
-better branching usability
-performance improvements

Cons:
-currently no debian package for darcs2

Does anyone have objections? If everyone comes to agreement, we can provide some "office hours" in the IRC channel to help people compile/install the darcs2 client.

Thanks!

--
tangled strands of DNA explain the way that I behave.
http://www.clock.org/~matt