Re: [freesci-develop] darcs2 conversion

From: Christoph Reichenbach
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] darcs2 conversion
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:47:05 -0600

Hi,

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 08:49:55PM +0200, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
> creichen said it would be interesting to have multiple lines of log
> message. I've just tried it, and if you say 'yes' to adding a long
> comment when recording a change, it will open an editor (it was vim
> for me) to freely edit the log message. Then you can see the darcs
> changelog with "darcs changes", and it will show the the complete log
> entries.

  The format looks very much like a regular ChangeLog file; it should
not be hard to auto-generate a ChangeLog during `make distcheck', so I
am inclined to concur.

> Yesterday I tried to build a static binary of darcs2 for linux and I
> couldn't do it. I asked in #darcs and it seems to be a known bug in
> the 2.0.0 release (this is why they haven't released any linux static
> binary), so everyone should build his own. It's already solved in the
> repository, and I could build a static binary from it.

  The main problem here is that it may be tricky for some to access
the repository post-upgrade.  I am all for migrating to darcs2, but
only if that does not cause problems for anyone.  How about we
postpone this until official static binaries are available for Linux,
OS X, and Win32?  It sounds to me as if that time will not be far off.

-- Christoph