Re: [freesci-develop] darcs2 conversion

From: Jordi Vilalta
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] darcs2 conversion
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 20:49:55 +0200

Hi,

2008/5/19 Matt:
> One of the GSoC (Google Summer of Code) projects related to FreeSCI was
> accepted, and a branching capability would be preferred for integrating that
> work. The current version of darcs we have deployed for source control has
> some limitations in this area, and we would like to upgrade to darcs2. We
> would like to do so before next week, since that is when some of the GSoC
> students are starting their projects.

In fact I stopped merging my branch with upstream when conflicts made
it almost impossible. In the end I tracked it down to one patch. I
left it working all night and it didn't do anything. This is the main
issue resolved with the new repository format used in darcs2.

> Jordi has also suggested not updating the ChangeLog file, which gives darcs
> some performance issues. Instead, we would generate the ChangeLog from the
> darcs repository during 'make dist' for releases.

creichen said it would be interesting to have multiple lines of log
message. I've just tried it, and if you say 'yes' to adding a long
comment when recording a change, it will open an editor (it was vim
for me) to freely edit the log message. Then you can see the darcs
changelog with "darcs changes", and it will show the the complete log
entries.

> Cons:
> -currently no debian package for darcs2

Yesterday I tried to build a static binary of darcs2 for linux and I
couldn't do it. I asked in #darcs and it seems to be a known bug in
the 2.0.0 release (this is why they haven't released any linux static
binary), so everyone should build his own. It's already solved in the
repository, and I could build a static binary from it.

As always, I'm not strictly tied to darcs (though I like it), but I
really need a system which can handle complex conflicts, and it isn't
the case of darcs1.

Regards,

Jordi Vilalta