Re: Synthesize cmap from a TrueType Font

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Synthesize cmap from a TrueType Font
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2024 15:56:25 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Ciaran,

> Just a follow up about the issue I raised earlier:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/issues/1289
>
> The new synthesize cmap seems to be incorrect. The wrong glyphs are
> used.

Assuming that the 'Apple Roman' encoding is correct (which you seem to
imply), this is a problem of the font – the glyph names are completely
wrong.  In other words, the font is buggy.

> Is there a reason why we want to synthesize a new cmap?

A Unicode cmap is what virtually everybody wants, since you don't have
to switch around cmaps.

> Can I ask FreeType not to synthesize as the document doesn't render
> correctly.

Well, FreeType expects valid fonts.  If you want to make it handle
invalid fonts you have to maintain a blacklist to catch them and
explicitly select the desired cmap.  If this is not possible, consider
a compilation of the library without defining
`FT_CONFIG_OPTION_POSTSCRIPT_NAMES`.