Re: Synthesize cmap from a TrueType Font

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Synthesize cmap from a TrueType Font
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2024 17:42:43 +0000 (UTC)

>[...] is there a way for me to know at runtime, if FreeType has
> created a new cmap? Is a flag set?

No, there is no flag set, and I think it doesn't help if it were
available – either you trust a font that it is valid, or you don't.

This said, you might access the 'cmap' table directly (using
`FT_Load_Sfnt_Table`) and check whether it contains a Unicode
sub-table.  If it doesn't, FreeType's Unicode cmap is synthetic.

  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/cmap